Math - Word Problems
This lesson plan contains math word problems for students to read and solve.
First, you will copy the worksheet for each student. Then, you will give each student a worksheet. After that, you can collect them and grade them.
Math Word Problems:
Directions: Read the word problem and then solve it.
1. Bobby bought a package of pencils for $1.00, two candy bars for $1.00, and a package of notebook paper for $3.00. He gave the clerk $10.00. Did he have enough money to pay for his purchase? If so, how much would he get back?
2. Carol bought two packages of pencils for $2.00, a package of notebook paper for $3.00, a crossword puzzle book for $4.00. She gave the clerk $10.00. How much did she get back?
3. Penny bought a dog bowl for $2.00, dog food for $8.35, a leash for $4.95. How much money did she spend?
4. Cassie left her house at 7:45 to go to school. It took her twenty minutes to walk. What time did she arrive at school?
5. 5. Abby wanted to go to a movie at 3:00 PM. She wanted to arrive at the theater 30 minutes early. It would take her 20 minutes to go from her house to the theater. She also wanted to pick up her friend, Penny, who lived 10 minutes from her house, which was farther from the theater than Abby's house. What time would Abby have to leave her house to get Penny, and then get to the movie when she wanted to?
6. Susie wanted to go shopping at 5:00 PM. She had to clean up her room before she could leave with her girl friend, Lindsey. It would take her 30 minutes to clean her room and 10 minutes to go to Lindsey's house. She wanted to be at Lindsey's house at 4:45 right after she cleaned her room. What time would Susie have to start cleaning her room in order to make it to Lindsey's house on time?
7. Mindy and her friend, Cindy, left school at 4:00. It took them 20 minutes to walk to Cindy's house first. Then, it took 10 minutes for Mindy to walk to her house. What time would Mindy arrive home if she stayed at Cindy's house for 15 minutes to chat?
8. Supper was over at 6:00 PM. Mindy watched television for two hours. Then, it took her another 30 minutes to get her shower and get her pajamas on. It took her another 30 minutes to read her favorite mystery before she went to bed. After that, she climbed into bed and shut her lights off. Five minutes later, she was in bed and ready to go to sleep. What time would it be when Mindy went to bed?
9. Carol bought some curtain material that was 36 inches long and 24 inches wide. What is the size of the material in feet?
10. Susan bought some yarn to make a rug that was 18 inches wide and 36 inches long. What is the size of the rug in feet? Answers to the Worksheet
1. Yes. He would get back $5.00
2. She would get back $1.00
5. She would have to leave at 2:00.
6. She would have to leave at 4:05.
7. Mindy would arrive at her house at 4:55.
8. 9:05 PM
9. Three feet long and two feet wide.
10. One and a half feet wide and three feet long.
100 to 90 = A
89 to 80 = B
79 to 70 = C
69 to 60 = D
Below 60 = F
- Physical Education
- Reading & Writing
- Social Studies
- Special Education