Writing A Character Sketch
In this lesson, the students will write a character sketch.
First, you will explain the definition of a character sketch.
A character sketch is an outline of a character. The sketch includes the character's outward appearance, family members, personality, interests, and beliefs.
After you have explained the definition, you can pass out the following worksheet.
Worksheet - Character Sketch
Directions: You are to think of a character you would like to use in a short story. Then, you are to make a character sketch so you will become familiar with the character of your short story.
1. What is the name of your character? 2. What is the age of your character? 3. Does your character have any pets? If so, what kind and how many? 4. Does your character have any brothers or sisters? 5. What does your character look like?
6. What hobbies does your character have? 7. What other interests does your character have?
8. What does your character like to do the most?
9. What is your character's least favorite thing to do?
10. What are your character's beliefs? 11. Is your character outgoing or shy?
12. Do other people enjoy being around your character?
13. What does your character like to do in his/her free time?14. Does your character like to read short stories or books? If yes, what kind of short stories or books does your character like to read?
15. Does your character like to write short stories or books? 16. Is there any other information about your character that you need to know?
You can grade the students on how they wrote their character sketch and if they included everything in the sketch.
You can also grade the students on spelling, punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure.
- Physical Education
- Reading & Writing
- Social Studies
- Special Education