API Documentation (V.1)
LocalSchoolDirectory.com provides access to K-12 public and private school data via a free web service API, please contact us at [email protected] with any questions regarding implementation or usage.
This document provides instruction for version 1 of LocalSchoolDirectory.com API.
An API key is required, please acquire a key by contacting us at [email protected]. Please include your name, company and intended usage of the API.
API Call Functions
API Request Formats
API Response Formats
- XML (default)
We reserve the right to place limits on the usage of this API.
- Connections: Number of API calls per day
- Bandwidth: Amount of data transfered per day
Note: All spaces must be replaced with a "+", e.g. Los+Angeles.
Returns K-12 school data that match search query.
- fn = school_search
- v = 1
- key = [Your Key]
- zip = 5 Digit Zip Code*
- city = City Name*
- state = 2 Letter State Abbreviation*
- school_type = The type of school [public/charter/private]
- school_grade_level = The grade levels offered by the school [preschool/elementary/middle/high/other]
- distance = Distance in miles away from a specific zip or city and state. Default value is 20 miles.
*Requires EITHER zip or city and state combination
- school_type = Type of school [Public School/Charter School/Private School]
- school_id = LocalSchoolDirectory.com id for the school
- school_district = The managing school district (public and charter schools only)
- lowest_grade_offered = Possible Results: Preschool,PK,KG,Grades 1-12, Unknown
- highest_grade_offered = Possible Results: Preschool,PK,KG,Grades 1-12, Unknown
- enrolled_students = Total number of enrolled students for the school
- full_time_teachers = Total number of full-time equivalent (FTE) teachers
- students_per_teacher = Number of students per "FTE" teacher
- notes = Any special notes about the school, e.g. "Title I Eligible School"
- distance = Distance in miles away from a specific zip or city and state.
- url = LocalSchoolDirectory.com url for the school profile
Exmaple API Call:
Exmaple API Response: